Monday 31 May 2010

The Beer Deal in Perth!

Let's begin with the beer review as I promised to write about beer in Perth end of this month. I mentioned Little Creatures in my earlier blog when I was in Adelaide so this is it. Visited this bar called My Place located in the heart of the city. It's just directly opposite to Madam Maude or is it Miss Maude? Quite a nice cozy place but I noticed I was the only "chink" in there. But what the heck?! People there looks friendly and getting drunk was more important than to worry about anti-asians at that time :)

LITTLE CREATURES (PALE ALE)
Little Creatures ain't really a beer... It's pale ale. Apparently those bums in OZ thought me the differences between beer and ale. They're both simillar except beer contains hop whereelse ale doesn't. And also it is brewed differently. They said beer uses the yeast which is fermented from the bottom and ale uses the yeast fermented from the top. Or was it vice versa? Can't really remember. I only knew how to drink that night. Anyway, this beverage comes in full pint size bottles at 568ml. It's really crispy, not too dry and quite a thirst quencher. Sadly, I find my Little Creatures that night missing something in its flavour. It wasn't as fragrant as I had it before. (5.2%alc)

JAMES SQUIRE (POTTER)
This is a very unique beer. It has a rich chocolate taste in it. I know, what the heck???!!! Chocolaty beer???!!! YUCKS! But wait!... I wasn't so keen to try it at first but after a sip of it, WOW! Amazingly it was a good combination! A must try for tourists visiting Perth. I wouldn't call this a beer, but at least it's one of my favourite alcoholic beverage from now on. It is thick, creamy and the colour is dark like stout. Yet it's still a beer. The dark colour comes from the chocolate. Yes... It is really brewed with chocolate. Try it! You won't regret it for sure... (5.0% alc)


JAMES SQUIRE (I.P.A.)
I.P.A. stands for India Pale Ales... I didn't quite like this drink... I have to say that it is quite smooth but it tastes like as though methanol has been added in the drink for the extra kick. The colour is more towards brownish or rusty gold. Written on the side of the bottle:-
"Convicts weren't the only thing the English exported to a hot, distant country. At about the same time James Squire embarked for Australia, this style of beer shipped out for India's shores. Spoilage was offset during the long journey by adding more hops and increasing India Pale Ale's alcohol content - it's unlikely the same kindness was offered to the 'passengers' of the First Fleet." (5.6% alc)

I wonder if you noticed that this beer review doesn't have any prices? Honestly, I was pretty drunk that night. I forgot to take the receipt after paying and I returned back to my hotel and knocked out. I think I couldn't even walk back properly. If I am not mistaken, the prices for each bottle of beer ranges from AU$5.00 - AU$6.00. So, it's still quite affordable especially for blokes like us who comes from the Boleh Land! CHEERS EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment